Still trying to make the case for mobile optimization of your company's website? Or worse -- have you gotten the green light, but are so overwhelmed by the project that you don't know where to begin?
Makes sense. Starting from square one is hard, especially for business owners and marketing leaders of industrial companies. Google probably figured as much, and they graciously conducted a study to help make mobile marketers' lives a little bit easier: "What Users Want Most From Mobile Sites Today." The study, which we found via Marketing Land, reports on two helpful perspectives. First, it helps you make the case for mobile site optimization by reporting on how smartphone users feel about mobile browsing experiences with businesses now. Then, it dives into the actual things smartphone users want from a company's mobile site.
With this data, you can build a case for a modern website and industrial marketing practices focused on growth that leverage your investment! If your current site is severely outstated and has become a major liability, take a look at the highlights we've pulled from the study, you won't be disappointed.
How Smartphone Users Feel About the Mobile Browsing Experience
1) 96% of smartphone users have encountered sites that weren't designed for mobile devices.
2) 67% of users are more likely to purchase a product or service from a mobile-friendly site.
3) 74% of users say they're also more likely to return to a site in the future if it's mobile-friendly.
4) 79% of users who don't like what they find on a mobile site will go look for the information they need on another site.
5) 52% of users said a bad mobile experience made them less likely to engage with a company.
6) And even if users really like a business, 50% of users will use that business less if their site isn't mobile-friendly.
7) 48% of users say they feel frustrated and annoyed when on sites that are poorly optimized for mobile. 36% say they feel like they've wasted their time when they visit those sites.
8) 48% of users that report a business' site didn't work well on their smartphones took it as an indication the company didn't care about their business.
Smartphone Users' Ideal Browsing Experience
9) 76% of users want to get location or operating hours from a mobile site.
10) 61% of users want to be able to click-to-call a business on their mobile site; 54% are looking to send an email.
11) 53% of users want to download an app on a business' mobile site.
12) 48% of users want to be able to access a company's social networks from their mobile site.
13) 41% of users want to be able to play a video clip from a business' mobile site.
14) 78% of users want to be able to find what they're looking for on a mobile site in just one or two clicks. The same percentage of users cites a desire for a search bar that's both easy to find, and to use.
15) 76% of users want a business' mobile site to fit the small screen of their smartphone better. 64% said they want to only scroll up and down, not left and right.
16) 69% of users called for bigger buttons that are friendlier to their fumbling fingers.
17) 74% of users want mobile sites to look clean and efficient.
18) 74% of users also cited they want the option to go to a full, non-mobile site version.
19) 73% of users want a company's mobile site to make it easy to save information from the site for future reference.
20) 73% of users also cited a need for less long forms -- forms should have fewer fields, and not require too much scrolling and data input requirements from a mobile site.
If you need a trusted partner who understands the challenges of industrial businesses, Shanahan Design can help. We've worked manufacturers and equipment dealers across North America. Schedule a free 30-minute consultation and let's discuss how we can help optimize your industrial marketing and website for lead generation and growth.